Saturday 6 October 2018

"Cheap as Free" Basing

While I've been working on a bunch of Heroclix mods, there are some clix that I've set aside for use just as they are. I figure they might be useful without making any modifications.

Last year I picked up a bunch of plastic siding stuff made to look like a rock facing. My idea at the time was to use the stuff for making terrain. Haven't gotten around to that yet, but I had another idea. Since I'm running low on the last bunch of bases I made, what if I cut circles out of it to use for bases?

Using a 1-1/4" hole saw on a drill produces a 1" disc. Although, normally one would end up with what would look like a washer because the mandrel for hole saws has a drill bit guide on it. I mounted mine on a 3/8" bolt with washers, a nut, and some very careful placement to get the saw centered in relation to the drill.

Here's the piece I started on. Lots faster than turning a plastic shaft on a lathe!
Drilling out the discs, which I recommend be started on the backside or the side you aren't using as the visible surface, leaves a thin bit of plastic to trim with a good blade.

There's probably lots of ways to mount minis to these discs, I chose to carve off the existing base from the mini, leaving it below the feet. Line up and drill holes where the feet will go, I actually carved little studs out of the plastic below the feet so they would fit in drilled holes without having to cut weird shapes in the bases. Haven't been able to find my glue, so I used green stuff to adhere the model to its new base.

My first three re-based Heroclix. Not too shabby.
I think it worked pretty good, and gives a somewhat interesting surface without having to do much at all. I may glue them to a cork layer so the bottoms are more flat, if I start to feel like it's necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment