Thursday 14 December 2017

SW:ED Project - Ahsoka Tano

Now to introduce my second completed Epic Duels team made from Heroclix: Ahsoka Tano and Captain Rex.

Ahsoka and Captain Rex ready for battle!


Ahsoka Tano
I used this sculpt of the X-Woman Quake. The biggest reason I chose it was that her pose seemed to be exactly the kind of stance Ahsoka might take in a fight, specifically with the positioning of her light sabers.
Quake (photo from HC Realms)
While this is my second completed team, this was actually the first conversion I had attempted to add sculpted material to. In fact, I hadn't even acquired any green stuff yet. I tried using JB Weld instead. I'll tell you now that I don't recommend using JB Weld after having used green stuff, it's much harder to work with. Despite the troubles I had with the JB Weld, I think I got lucky and the sculpt actually came out looking pretty good for what it was, good enough to try painting it instead of doing it all over again with green stuff.
 
 
 
 
So yes, I used JB Weld for Ahsoka's head-piece and her skirt, for which I am especially amazed that it worked. Her belt, pouch on her back, and neck-tie shaped thingy on the front were done with green stuff. For her light sabers, I clipped some bits off of a paperclip. Then for each I heated one end and pressed it into one of the fists so that the plastic melted around the paperclip. After cooling, I added some Krazy Glue to further strengthen her hold on her sabers.

Painting her face was a struggle, I think it came out too busy-looking with the white markings at this small scale, but I don't know how else I would do it. As for the rest, I went for her dress from later in the Clone Wars series.

Captain Rex
...sort of. In my researching of Captain Rex and from watching the Clone Wars series, I took note that the dual blaster pistols (DC-17 hand blasters, apparently) are the signature weapon for Rex. Thus, I want to do a sculpt with 2 pistols, I just haven't decided on one from the figures I have yet. However, I do have 4 Punisher sculpts that would make a good squad of clone troops: one sniper, two with rifles, and one with a mini-gun. So I did up one of the rifle-wielders to stand in for Rex until I get a sculpt I like for the role. Maybe there's an Epic Duels team featuring Commander Cody and some other troopers.
Punisher (photo from HC Realms)
The Clone Trooper came out pretty well. It started with a decapitation. Yes, after trying to model a clone helmet onto the Punisher's head, I took it off and stuck it on a spike to ease the molding process. After the helmet dried, I used it to make a mold so that I have an easier time with future clone conversions. Thus finished with the head, I glued it back on.

Actually, while waiting for green stuff to set, I did some body work. You can see the original sculpt is quite filled out with muscles, something clone armour wouldn't actually fit, so I shaved them down to approximate clone armour. I also cut the rifle down to more closely resemble a clone blaster rifle. While I intend him to be a regular clone, he can stand in for Captain Rex for now.

Painting was pretty straight-forward. Three coats of white to cover up the Punisher's original black clothing. Then the black areas at the armour joints and for the visor. I managed to paint around the gun, so no changes (besides the cutting) to that. Then some really watered-down black to to give a tarnished or battle-worn look. and that is that!

So I now have two teams (with cards too), meaning I could actually play the game using minis! Exciting, is it not?

No comments:

Post a Comment