Thursday 23 January 2020

Brown Tyranids

That game of Star Breach was really fun, even playing it solo. As I said in my last post, I am aiming to play again. However, an astute observer of the images I posted there might notice that a number of the tyranid figures were not painted and playing made me really want to get some of that done before lining them up again. Now, I mentioned having painted some before and that they don't really look all that great. I wanted the next batch to look better, so I did some googling on painting tyranids. I found some really inspiring painting advice from a YouTuber calling himself CatgutPainting (vidlink). The general advice was to use real world animal colour schemes to inspire your own.

I decided I wanted to use brown and yellow, so I then googled an image search of brown and yellow insects. While I did not choose a specific pattern to use, looking at the images really helped to plan how I generally wanted the figures to look. I think it really helped. Thanks CatgutPainting!

Process: Models were already primed black by whoever owned them before me. Airbrushed with Pactra Tan acrylic. Applied a homemade wash (Pledge Floor Care, a couple drops each of Craftsmart red, DecoArt Cranberry Splash, brown-orange paint-by-numbers leftover). Brush painted carapace and hooves with Craftsmart brown base, Craftsmart black, and paint-by-numbers leftover bright yellow. Finished with a final clear coat all over with the Pledge.

Here's a guy with some kind of gun!
Looking dangerous!
The three unbroken large models I got.
Everything painted in this pattern so far.
So much better looking than my first attempt at painting these guys, don't ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment