Thursday 28 June 2018

A Mobile Reworking

So just a small posting today. I reworked a broken mobile.

We the mobile used when our eldest child was a baby. It was already broken at that time; the support arm that curves over the crib to hold the mobile up had been snapped and taped together with packing tape. It held up for her, as well as the next two kids. Jenni took it out again to set up for our 5(ish) month old little one.

It's one of the cross types with little dangling plush thingies on the ends. Well, one of the crossing parts got broken.

This little one really likes the mobile. We didn't want to buy another one, so we set out to make a new one using the pieces from the old. We bought a roll of wire and I was away.

This is what I built:
Instead of a four arm thing, I went with a ring. Three wires act as spokes to provide a hanging point in the middle and the three stuffed animals hang from the spoke ends. The stuffed flower hangs from the middle. The pink fluffy stuff around the ring is three of the four sleeves that covered the plastic arms of the previous mobile.

I was having trouble getting the spokes to sit still so I could wrap them with wire, so I broke out the spot welder for my first use and made them stay put. What fun!

While I was at it, I also took the time to super glue the support arm, add wire to it for more support, and wrap it all up with hockey tape to keep everything together.

Oh, and here's a random picture of the two oldest in the middle of a game of Klondike we played on Sunday. Jeanette totally won, having found the mother lode and the rich claim ($150,000 total) and both the $40,000 finds. Lawrence and I just kept pulling up all the bad cards and fool's gold.
Hard to get a good picture when the kids are moving and you are holding a squirmy baby!

1 comment: