Wednesday 4 October 2017

Painting: X-Wing Fighter

As I was finishing of my ARC-170 fighters, I started an undercoat on a SW:TFA X-Wing. It stayed in base coat condition until this week when I noticed the maple bugs (or more commonly, box elder bugs) coming out. These bugs always show up in the fall, or are at least most noticeable in the fall as they tend to congregate in warm areas, like the sun-drenched side of a house. They eat boxelder leaves, flowers and seed pods, as well as the leaves of maple and ash trees.

A boxelder bug. Not harmful and kind of pretty. But they will try to get in the house and just hang out a little too long. (Image: GardenGreenAngels.blogspot.ca)
I was looking at their markings and thought that the colour scheme would work well on that X-Wing. So I mixed up some dark grey and started applying, then a slightly mottled look was taking shape, which I thought looked pretty, for a star fighter. While I had originally started with the intention of copying the bug's striping design onto the X-Wing, I didn't end up doing it. Instead I went with colouring certain components the red-orange colour. The markings are still kind of similar. I finished with a little white Rebellion symbol on one wing.

And here it is (against the background of my new neoprene game table surface):
The newly painted X-Wing. I think the grey seems darker than the image portrays, though it isn't as dark as the boxelder bug grey. I didn't want it too dark, though. Image was taken before applying any clear coat.
 Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment