Monday 14 August 2017

DIY: Gaming Table (Part 1)

I finally started building a gaming table!

I finished the tabletop tonight, save applying a finish to it, I'll have to do that later. So far the only thing I've purchased for it is some MDF for the playing surface. The rest is reclaimed lumber, so it's going to look rustic. The side walls were 2" x 8"s from some corral fence or something. I ripped them in half to make 2x4 size walls. The one side was worn by weathering. I sharpened up a plane (used by my great-grandfather) given to me by my uncle. I used it to plane one side smooth, quite a bit of work but quite fun and satisfying. Some pictures to show it off:
Vaulted tabletop! Yaay!
The grey bits are where the weathering wore away the wood between the fence slats. I planed the other side and used it as my straight side to shave the slat side to what is seen here.

Bottom view showing cross members and underside railings to support the MDF surface and to hold the frame straight.


Tried to get a play surface of 3' x 5'. Didn't quite happen as I ended up with 3' x 4' 11 3/4"! Close enough!

Now to get some legs on it, then a finish, probably just clear coat of some kind. I'm thinking about making some kind of box-like frame for the legs. It would be something that could be easily detached so that I can move the table in and out of the house ('cause I won't be applying a finish to it in the house).

Stay tuned for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment