Monday 16 November 2015

A stitch in time...

One project that has been on my to-do list for quite some time was to patch one of my pairs of jeans. It had developed a hole in the crotch, but the rest of the garment was intact, almost new-looking even! Well, today I finally did it. I had Jenni set up her sewing machine correctly for denim and I got to work. And work it was! Not because I don't know how to sew, I'm actually decent on a Janome. No. The work came from having three other pairs of similarly afflicted denim that I had accumulated under my dresser with the first pair.

And two more under the bed.

But, before you get too wildly impressed with my feat, I didn't actually patch all the pairs of pants. Three pairs were left off. Jenni thought that pair no. 1 was too short in the leg. Pair no. 2 had a hole too close to the zipper, thought it would be too hard to try and fix. Pair no. 3... I can't remember why I left off pair no. 3.

One of those pairs was chosen to be the donor and the back-side of one pant leg was cut off. From this I had enough patch material to repair the other jeans I pulled out plus the pair I was wearing (hole in the knee and one starting in the crotch). I also switched a rivet button on one pair with the one from the donor pair.

It feels great - like I just went on a pants shopping spree but spent no money and tripled the size of my wearable denim.

Now to knock off one of the other items from my list...

No comments:

Post a Comment