Friday 13 February 2015

DIY Valentine's Day

In our current mode of trying to save money where we can, my wife, Jenni, told me she didn't think I should buy her any flowers for Valentine's Day. This isn't a big stretch as we don't normally place a lot of stock on the day. Usually I just but her some flowers and that's the extent of our spending. So, since she doesn't want me buying flowers, I'll make some instead.

It's very last minute, so I haven't much for materials (without buying some) or time. I made three Origami flowers. To guide my building, I used the flowers section of Origami-Instructions.com. I folded the Bell Flower, the Lily, and the easy 8-petal. I had downloaded and printed a bunch of Valentine "cards" on offer by the authors of one of the two web-comics I like well enough to follow, Girl Genius. I only wanted one card, but the printout is four. So my idea was to use the one card for its intended purpose and cut the other three into squares to fold into flowers (then thy have a little colour to them).


The results (8-petal on top, bell on the left, lily on the right):


The lily and the bell were quite fun to do. I think a cheap pad of origami paper could make a really nice bouquet. So, with that, I'll pair the flowers with chocolate and I'll be on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment